- Motion activated lights – Installing motion activated lights is a good way to help deter potential burglars as the sudden burst of light as they approach your home increases their chances of being seen.
- Man’s best friend – Although you probably aren’t leaving your pet home while you’re on vacation, having a pet that makes loud noise such as a bark helps scare off burglars. Animals have better hearing and sense of smell which allows them to become aware of potential threats from a greater distance. The noise will once again increase the chance of the burglar being caught and help deter them from targeting your home.
- Curtains and locks on windows – Keeping your curtains closed and windows locked may slow down someone who is attempting to break into your house. It also avoids giving outsiders a clear view of your home and possessions.
- Multiple strong locks on all entrances – It may seem like common sense, but people often forget to reinforce back/side doors and doors that lead into their garage. You should treat all doors, no matter where the entrance is, as if it is your front door.
- Set Home Security Alarms – Home security alarms with door and window-break sensors will not only set off an alarm that may scare the burglar off, but it also notifies authorities of the intrusion. So even if you’re not home, authorities will be dispatched to your residence to check out what set off the alarm. Most home security alarms also come with fire detectors which is another feature that will put your mind at ease.
Posted on March 28, 2014
It’s that time of year again - when Spring Breakers are headed to resorts and warmer weather for a break from stress and winter weather.Don’t let leaving your home unattended cause you to stress on your vacation! Follow these tips to help prevent burglary while you’re away.