by Connect Your Home Team
Posted on May 3, 2016
Connecting Your DISH DVR to the Internet
Set Up Broadband
We encourage you to always connect your receiver to your broadband service in order to:
- Keep critical receiver data current
- Access thousands of online titles
- Order pay-per-view using your remote control.
There are several ways to connect to broadband service:
- With an Ethernet Cable
- With a Power Line Broadband Connector
Use if your receiver is not close to your modem/router and you do not have a wireless router. The Power Line Broadband Connector allows multiple receivers to connect to your broadband service through the power cord and the electrical wiring in your home. Visit dish.com/myorders to purchase a Power Line Broadband Connector.
- With a Wifi Broadband Connector
Use if your receiver is not close to your modem/router and you have a wireless router and a model 222k, 612, 622, 722, or 722k receiver (check the model name of on the front of your receiver or go to dish.com/myequipment). The Wifi Broadband Connector allows one receiver to connect to your broadband service using your wireless network. Visit dish.com/myorders to purchase a Wifi Broadband Connector.
With An Ethernet Cable:
- Connect the Ethernet cable from the receiver to your modem/router.
- Go to the Test Your Connection section to verify that your receiver is connected.
With A Power Line Broadband Connector:
- Find power outlet nearest to your modem/router and plug in the Power Line Broadband Connector (do not plug into a surge protector or a power strip).
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your modem/router to your Power Line Broadband Connector.
- Unplug the receiver from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and then plug back in. It will take no more than 5 minutes for the receiver to power back on.
- Go to the Test Your Connection section below to verify that your receiver is connected.
With A Wifi Broadband Connector:
- Connect the Wifi Broadband Connector to your ViP 222k, 612, 622, 722, 722k or 922 receiver’s USB port using the provided extension cable.
- Select “Setup” on the pop-up that appears on your TV screen.
- Choose your wireless network from the list and select “Done”.
- Enter your password (WEP or WAP encryption key) for your wireless network and select “Done”. This will initiate a test. If you do not know your password, you can get it from the person who set up your wireless network or you can contact your internet service provider.
- When the test is finished, select “Done”.
- Verify that the wireless signal reading on the screen is above 40. If it is not, try to move the dock to achieve a stronger signal. Select “Done” when finished.
- Go to the Test Your Connection to verify that your receiver is connected.
Test Your Connection:
- Press MENU on your DISH Network remote. Select “System Setup” and then “Diagnostics”.
- Select “Connection” to start the test.
- If the result says, “Broadband Connection OK”, you are done. Press VIEW LIVE TV on your remote to return to programming.
- If the result says, “Failure”, click here for more troubleshooting options.