May is National Electrical Safety Month – Notice Electrical Hazards in Your Home
From extension chords to light bulbs and bulky appliances, National Electrical Safety Month is here to call awareness to your family’s safety at home, over electrical hazards you may not always think twice about. There are dozens of ways that you can check for electrical hazards at home to help prevent personal injury and property damage. According to the Massachusetts Fire Incident Reporting System (MFIRS), electrical fires are the second greatest cause of structure fire fatalities. Electrical fires and electrocution can be caused by a variety of factors throughout your home and you’ll want to take the proper measures ahead of time in order to prevent home injuries from occurring. So, in honor of National Electrical Safety Month in May, we wanted to provide you with some of the top home electrical safety tips we could find.
- Use the ADT Pulse™ app on your smart phone, tablet or computer to turn off lights and appliances that were left plugged
- Do not overuse electrical outlets and power strips, keep chords organized
- Make sure electrical chords to your appliances enclose the wires properly and are not frayed or cracked
- Use child safety covers over electrical outlets to avoid having them stick their fingers or toys in them
- Keep extension chords and power strips out of walkways and high traffic areas
- Massachusetts Department of Fire Services also suggests that you contact an electrician to look at your home wiring if you’ve been experiencing any number of power outages or blown fuses
- Whether you’re in a bathroom or in the kitchen, keep all plugged in appliances away from the sink and any water
Not only can you use the tips mentioned as safety precautions in your home, but you can also pass along the information in this article by sharing it with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter as another way that you can participate in Electrical Safety Awareness this month. To learn more about home services including wireless home security systems that offer the ADT Pulse™, visit Connect Your Home online or call 888-566-3979.
You may also be interested in reading: