September 26th, 2011 by admin
Do you lock your doors and windows when you leave the house? If you donâ€™t then you may be setting yourself up to be targeted by a burglar. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation a home is robbed every 14.6 seconds and the average dollar loss per burglary is $2,119. Donâ€™t let this happen to you. It is very simple to lock your doors every time you leave the house, but it may also be beneficial to have some form of security system to keep a closer eye on your home. ADT Home Security Systems is a great thing to add to your list of home utilities, because it helps to better protect you and your family. Here are a few things you can do personally to make sure that you are doing everything in your power to stop your home from being targeted.
- Always lock and close your garage door: This is usually where you keep your tools and other home supplies, so giving them access to these items can only increase their chances of getting into your home. Consider getting a garage-door opener with random codes that automatically reset.
- Donâ€™t use a random lawn statue to hide a spare key: Burglars will know to look under every mat, every lawn statue and fake rocks to see if you are hiding a spare key. Instead of opening yourself up to that give the spare key to a neighbor for safe keeping.
- Donâ€™t store Ladders outside in the unlocked shed: This will give them access to reach the roof or other unprotected upper floor areas. Make sure you ladders are under lock and key.
- Donâ€™t rely on silent alarms: Burglars will get flustered if they set off an alarm that might wake up everyone else and alert them to the break-in. However some smart thieves know that it can take up to 10-20 minutes for the police to arrive after the alarm has been set off. Avoid this by using both silent and audible alarm systems.
- Keep up with your gardening and landscaping: Tall hedges and shrubs near the house create hiding spots for burglars who may even use overhanging branches to climb onto your roof. Make sure to trim any brushes and trees around your home.
- Donâ€™t keep your house dark: This may increase your electricity bill a little bit, but it is necessary to keeping your house safe. Replace burned out bulbs promptly, add lighting where needed and consider putting fixtures on motion sensors or light sensors so that they go on automatically.
- Relying on your dog to scare away burglars: While their bark may deter amateurs, serious burglars know that many dogs will shy away from someone wielding a weapon, or get chummy if offered a treat laced with a tranquilizer. Make your home look occupied by using timers to turn lights, radios, and TVs on and off in random patterns.
- Donâ€™t leave old boxes on your curb or outside your garage: This will alert burglars to a new flat screen, stereo, or any other big ticket items that you might have just bought. Break down big boxes into small pieces and bundle them together so that you canâ€™t tell whatâ€™s inside.
- Donâ€™t post vacation photos on Facebook: Burglars troll social media sites looking for targets and to make sure you are not one of them by not publicizing your vacations or trips on social media outlets. Wait until you get back before sharing vacation details or make sure your security settings only allow trusted â€œfriendsâ€ to see what youâ€™re up to.
Follow these steps to protect yourself and your family. Investing in a home security system may give your house the extra security that it needs when you are away. To learn more about ADT home security systems visit us at Connect Your Home or call (888)566-3979.
Iâ€™m Moving, Help Me Find Home Services Specials in My Area!
So youâ€™re moving to a new place and your moving checklist consists of finding the best deals in home services? Get an instant quote on affordable Internet, phone and cable TV providers by zip code when you visit Connect Your Home online or call 866-989-3474 today.